Baptism, Is it required and what does it mean?
Yes, Baptism is important, all believers should be baptized.
The types of baptism's and there importance are outlined in the below scripture.
Baptism of repentance, (not only confess you sins, but turn towards the kingdom of God)
- I, (John the Baptist), indeed baptize you with water unto
repentance, but He who is coming after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not
worthy to carry, He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire,
- Jesus said, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand:
repent ye, and believe the gospel, Mark 1:15.
- Paul said, John indeed baptized with a baptism of repentance,
saying to the people that they should believe on Him who would come after him, that is,
on Christ Jesus. When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord
Jesus, Acts 19:4-5.
Baptism of Salvation, (believe on the One that God sent, belive on Jesus as the Son of God)
This can be seen as in two parts, (the inward confession and the outward water baptism).
- Do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ
Jesus were baptized into His death? Therefore, we were buried with Him through baptism
into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father,
even so we also should walk in newness of life. For if we have been united together in
the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His
resurrection, Romans 6:3-5.
- He said to them, Go into all the world
and preach the gospel to every creature. He who believes and is baptized will be saved;
but he who does not believe will be condemned,
- For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ,
- In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made
without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of
Christ, buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith
in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead,
The baptism of the Holy Spirit, (ask and you shall recieve)
- He commanded them, (the 12 disciples),
not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, which, He said,
you have heard from Me; for John truly baptized with water, but you
shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now,
- If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children:
how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask Him?
- But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come
upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and
in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth,
- For as yet He, (the Holy Spirit), had fallen upon none of
them. They had only been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. Then they laid hands on
them, and they received the Holy Spirit, Acts 8:16-17.
Click here to see a list of New Testament baptism scriptures